As the weather changes and the summer heat goes up, so shifts the rest of your lifestyle. The days get longer, the appetite gets lighter, and what better way to embrace the oncoming summer season than with a spring clean of the diet!
If you are like me and you’re trying to learn about making better food choices, or if you are just trying to get “bikini ready”, you should give Amira authentic natural brown basmati rice a try. It’s a perfect accompaniment for light summer salads, and it also makes for a great side dish.
Known to be an excellent source of magnesium, all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and containing 20% more fiber, Amira’s line of authentic Basmati is low in sodium, starch and fat. The low GI keeps you fuller for longer, and the aromatic flavors of the basmati will add that perfect kick to every meal.
While there are some great salad recipes to choose from, I opted to share a side dish with you today – a perfect July 4th dish that’s super easy to make!
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.
- Nutrition Value: 1 each: 327 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 11g fiber), 12g protein
Be sure to check out all of the Amira products on their Official Website HERE! They have so much to offer for those seeking a healthier lifestyle like me!
I received a sample of this product in exchange for my honest opinion and unbiased review. I was not required to leave positive feedback, I’ve chosen to since my meal came out delicious!